When you move somewhere new, it can be hard to feel connected. One of the best ways to plug in, though, is to get involved in the new community as quickly as you can. Community involvement is good for you, benefiting your body and mind, while helping you form bonds and a sense of solidarity with those around you. Here, we look at some great ways to plug in and get involved in your community.
- Check out some local events. Most local communities an online calendar; you’re sure to find something there that piques your interest, whether it’s live music, theatre, sports, or festivals. Even in COVID-19, there are safe, socially distanced events being planned, and some organizations are getting very creative about how they operate. You may find something new to enjoy, and might even make some new friends.
- Connect with local government. If civic responsibility is your passion, get involved! Attend community meetings, or volunteer at the polls.
- Get involved in community service. There are tons of ways to plug into your community as a volunteer- all you have to do is decide what appeals to you. You might consider:
- Helping the elderly: Contact local nursing homes, long-term care facilities, or veterans’ organizations to ask about volunteer opportunities and needs you can meet. You might also look into volunteering for a meal delivery organization or senior transportation service. COVID-19 has left many seniors isolated and vulnerable, so it’s even more important to find some ways to help out. It may be as simple as picking up extra groceries and delivering them to an elderly neighbor.
- Helping children: There are so many opportunities to make a difference in the life of a child! Tutor a kid after school, join a mentor program, or get involved with the local school.
- Helping animals: Volunteer as a dog walker for your local animal shelter or gather needed supplies and donate them. If you’re able to take on a larger commitment, consider fostering; the pandemic has left many pets in need of homes. Bonus: walking a foster dog around your neighborhood provides an opportunity to meet your neighbors!
- Helping the less fortunate: Call the local food bank or charity thrift store to find out about opportunities to volunteer. Many people are struggling right now, and your participation in charitable outreach can make a big difference.
- Helping a worthy cause: Is there a cause that’s especially important to you? Support it by participating in local 5k runs, food, clothing, or book drives, or other community events. Don’t have time to volunteer? Donate your resources.
- Support local businesses. Skip the big box stores and shop locally. Local businesses, especially restaurants, have been severely impacted by the pandemic, so they really need your support. Even if you’re not comfortable dining out yet, make a point of supporting your local restaurants by ordering takeout.
- Join a group. Find a club, take a class, or sign up for your neighborhood message board. One bright spot in the COVID-19 crisis is the way that people have come together virtually, finding new ways to connect. Your neighborhood message board is likely a great place to find information about neighborhood happenings, discuss issues facing your community, or get information about local resources. Jump on and introduce yourself!
- Start something yourself! Can’t find a group where you’d fit in? Start one! Or organize a volunteer event, like a cleanup day at a local part. Or start a carpool or neighborhood watch. You’ll be surprised how many like-minded people you engage when you get something started.
When you’re ready to find the perfect community to call home, Vutech & Ruff can help you find the right home for you. We provide outstanding service to both buyers and sellers, assisting with just about every aspect of real estate while maintaining the highest level of professionalism. Our award-winning agents have years of experience, and our featured properties are located in some of the best neighborhoods in the Columbus, Ohio area. Call 614-706-0122 or contact us through our website so we can get to work for you!